PRINCIPLES OF KINGDOM LIVING
THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND THE CHURCH
The Kingdom of God and the Church are woven together throughout the Scriptures. The Kingdom of God is God’s purpose, while the Church is the instrument to fulfill that purpose and that which is used to extend God’s sovereign rule.
(1) WHAT IS THE KINGDOM OF GOD?
A. It is synonymous with the Kingdom of Heaven:
1. (Matthew 4:17); (Mark 1:14)
2. (Matthew 5:3); (Luke 6:20)
3. (Matthew 10:7); (Luke 9:2)
4. (Matthew 13:31); (Mark 4:30-31)
5. (Matthew 19:14); (Mark 10:14)
6. (Matthew 19:23); (Luke 18:24)
B. It is an everlasting Kingdom (Daniel 4:3); (II Peter 1:11); (Luke1:33).
C. It is superior to, and above, all other kingdoms (Psalms 103:19).
D. It is not of the world (John 18:36).
E. It is within the believer (Luke 17:21).
F. It is righteousness (Hebrews 1:8), peace and joy (Romans 14:17).
G. Not only in word, but in power (I Corinthians 4:20).
H. It is our inheritance as believers (Matthew 25:34):
1. Must be born-again to receive (John 3:1-5).
2. Not to be inherited by flesh and blood (I Corinthians 15:50).
3. We are to seek it above all else (Matthew 6:33).
(2) HOW IS THE KINGDOM OF GOD TO BE EXPRESSED ON THE EARTH?
Through the Church (Matthew 21:43).
3) WHAT IS THE CHURCH?
A. The Church is a group of born-again believers meeting together to worship God, to be trained in the ways of God’s Kingdom, and to minister to the world the Gospel of the Kingdom. The Bible indicates that there are two aspects of the church:
B. The Church is not a literal building, but a body of redeemed people
(I Corinthians 12:27).
C. The Church is not a denomination or sect:
1. There is no scripture authorizing the present divisions in Christianity.
2. The New Testament church is not to be divided by anything.
3. The Church must reach every society, every nation, every language, every person.
(4) WHAT IS THE DEFINITION OF THE WORLD “CHURCH”?
A. The word “church”, from the Greek text, is: “assembly, gathering, meeting“. It is used of the Christian Church or congregation.
It literally means a “calling out of“. This message is conveyed to us in (II Corinthians 6:17).
B. There are two main aspects of the church:
1. The Church “invisible” (Ephesians 3:21); (Hebrews 12:22-23).
This is union in a spiritual body for the habitation of God, by the Spirit, with Jesus as the Head. It is not spoken of in a visible sense, but is an invisible union of all true believers in Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:19-22); (I Corinthians 3:16).
2. The Church “visible” (Matthew 18:15-20):
a. Groups of believers in a given location (Matthew 18:20).
b. Gathered to the person of Jesus Christ for worship (John 4:24).
c. Marked out by confession of sin (Romans 10:9-10).
d. Living a disciplined life (Matthew 18:19-20).
e. Under the oversight of gifted ministries (Ephesians 4:9-13).
f. Established in the principles of Christ’s doctrine (Acts 2:42); (Hebrews 6:1-2).
g. Keeping the memorial of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ (I Corinthians 11:23-34).
h. Locally governed, yet in fellowship with other groups of believers in their area (Revelation 1:11); (Philippians 1:1).
(5) WHAT IS THE LOCAL CHURCH?
A. It is any local assembly made up of members of the universal Church, or Body of Christ, whose common bond is their fellowship with Jesus Christ (I Corinthians 1:2); (Philippians 1:1); (I Thessalonians 1:1); (Galatians 1:2).
B. It is the voice of the Universal Church in any given location.
1. Its mission is to proclaim and demonstrate the message and ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 28:18-20); (Mark 26:15-18); (John 17:13-18).
2. The message of the church will be reflected in the mission of the Church.
C. We must attach ourselves to a local assembly:
1. The Bible admonishes us to do so (Hebrews 10:25).
2. We must experience the wonders of congregational worship, prayer, training, and fellowship.
3. We must allow our children to be influenced by the habits, disciplines and sacraments of Christian living.
4. We must “edify,” or build up one another in the faith of the Lord
(Romans 14:19); (I Thessalonians 5:11).
(6) BY WHAT OTHER NAMES IS THE CHURCH CALLED IN THE NEW TESTAMENT?
A. Temple (Ephesians 2:21); (I Peter 2:5). Jesus, is the “chief cornerstone”.
B. Family (Ephesians 3:15). Jesus, the Head.
C. Body (Ephesians 1:22-23); (4:16). Jesus, the Head.
D. Bride (Ephesians 5:14-32). Jesus, the Bridegroom.
E. Army (Ephesians 6:10-17); (Hebrews 2:10). Jesus, the Captain.
F. City (Matthew 5:14); (Hebrews 11:10); (Hebrews 12:22). Jesus, the Light.
G. Vineyard (John 15:1-7). Jesus, the Vine.
H. Sheepfold (John 10:1-6). Jesus, the Great Shepherd.
I. Holy Nation (I Peter 2:9); (Ephesians 2:19); (Psalms 8:7). Jesus, the Firstborn (Hebrews 12:23).
J. Holy Priesthood (I Peter 1:5,9). Jesus, the High Priest (Hebrews 7).
K. Chosen Generation (I Peter 2:9); (Psalms 102:18).
The church is not a lifeless institution, but a living unit. It is an organism, not an organization. It is a fellowship of all those who share the life of the Lord Jesus Christ and who are linked together in living union by the Holy Spirit.
PRINCIPLES OF KINGDOM LIVING
LESSON 14 – STUDY SHEET
THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND THE CHURCH
Answer these questions and be prepared to discuss this lesson in the next class.
1. The Kingdom of God is God’s ____________________________ while the Church is the instrument to ____________________ that purpose and that which is used to extend God’s sovereign rule.
2. Daniel 4:3 How great are his signs! And how mighty are His wonders/ His kingdom is
an __________________ kingdom, and His dominion is from generation to generation.
3. Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, Lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is ______________________ you.
4. Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink, but righteousness, and peace and joy in the __________________________________________________.
5. The Kingdom of God is our inheritance as believers. But you must be ____________
to receive. John 3:1-5.
6. How is the kingdom of God to be expressed on the earth?
7. The ______________________ is not a literal building, but a body of redeemed
8. There is no ______________________________ authorizing the present divisions in Christianity.
9. The church invisible: It is not spoken of in a visible sense but is an invisible
_____________________ of all____________________ in ____________.
10. I Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the _______________________ of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in _______________________________?
11. List the eight characteristics listed as the visible church.
1. ____________________________________________________________________ 2. ____________________________________________________________________ 3. ____________________________________________________________________ 4. ____________________________________________________________________ 5. ____________________________________________________________________ 6. ____________________________________________________________________
7. ____________________________________________________________________ 8. ____________________________________________________________________
12. The _________is the voice of the Universal Church in any given location.
13. It’s mission is to proclaim and demonstrate the ______________________ and
_______________________ of the Lord Jesus Christ.
14. What does Hebrews 10:25 tell you? __________________
15. List eight other names the church is called in the New Testament.
1. ____________________ 2. ___________________ 3. _____________________ 4. ____________________ 5. ____________________ 6. _____________________ 7. _____________________ 8. _____________________
16. The church is not a lifeless institution but a ____________________ unit.