THE FIVE-FOLD MINISTRIES
MEMORY VERSE: Ephesians 4:11 – “And He gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers….”
God has established a pattern for governing the activities of the church. Every group of people needs one leader. God gave Jesus to the Church to be its leader or the head, and in turn, Jesus has divided the responsibilities among five main ministries and given them to the Church as a gift, to help it grow and function. We call it the Five-Fold Ministry. There are other ministries for the church also but without the Five-Fold there would be confusion.
I. WHAT ARE THE FIVE-FOLD MINISTRIES GOD GAVE TO THE CHURCH?
The church is important to Jesus and it was meant to play a major part in our lives. This is why He gave the church these five important ministries. One person may have one or more of these ministries or he may start out with one and God will give him more as he matures. All of the Five-Fold ministries teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
II. WHAT IS AN APOSTLE AND WHAT DOES HE DO?
A. “Apostle” comes from the Greek word “apostolos” meaning “one sent forth.” Missionaries fit into this category.
B. An apostle is chosen by God not man. Write out Galatians 1:1 ________________________ _______________________________________________________________________ _____
C. An apostle preaches the gospel.
1. Read Romans 1:1
2. Write out Luke 6:13_________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________ 3. Also read Romans 1:4-6 and Acts 2:38
D. In Matthew 28:19, what did Jesus tell the apostles to do? _________________________
E. An apostle testifies and exhorts. Read Acts 2:40
F. What does Matthew 10:1 say that the apostles did? _________________________________
G. An apostle establishes basic doctrines or beliefs.
1. Read and meditate on Acts 2:42-47. Why do you think the apostles were able to work so miraculously for the people? 2. Who did the apostles obey? Read Acts 5:29.__________________________
H. An apostle establishes churches and appoints elders over them. Read Acts 14:19-28
I. What 3 things did do they willingly and unceasingly? Acts 5:41-42 1.______________________________________
J. An apostle encourages and develops those God has “called”, or wants to the ministry, giving guidance and instruction until they are solidly established in their calling.
1. Read Acts 14:23.
2. When elders were ordained they ___________ with _____________ and then commend them to the Lord.
K. An apostle establishes believers in truth that forms a foundation for them to believe and obey.
1. Read 1 Corinthians 3:10-11
2. What is that foundation? (verse 11)__________________________________
L. The proof of a man being an apostle is the “fruit” or results others can see from his behavior and work. Read 1 Corinthians 9:2.
M. An apostle has a ministry of “beginnings”.
III. WHAT IS A PROPHET?
A, “Prophet” comes from the Greek “prophetes” meaning “one who speaks forth or openly; a proclaimer of a divine message.”
B. Speaks the Word of the Lord.
1. Read 1Corinthians 14:29 The Amplified Bible reads in 1 Corinthians 14:31 & 33: 31For in this way you can give testimony – prophesying and thus interpreting the divine will and purpose- one by one, so that all may be instructed and all may be stimulated and encouraged. 33For He (Who is the source of their prophesying) is not a God of confusion and disorder but of peace and order. As (is the practice) in all the churches of the saints (God’s people).
2. Shows further revelation of the scriptures. Read 1 Corinthians 14:30.
3. Predicts and warns of future events. Read Acts 11:27-28; 7:37; Acts 13:12.
4. Provides direction in ministry, doctrine and worship. Acts 15:29-31. Write out Acts 16:4 __________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________
5. Confirms and imparts spiritual gifts and blessings. Read Act 15:36.
6. Has the ministry of confirming God’s motives and His Will for the church and his people.
IV. WHAT IS AN EVANGELIST AND WHAT DOES HE DO?
A. Evangelist comes from the Greek “evangelistos” meaning “messenger of good”.
B. 2 Timothy 4:1-2 commands the evangelist to do some very definite things. Name five:
6. Write out 2 Timothy 4:5 __________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________________________
C. Evangelists spread the message of the gospel to unreached areas. This means they travel frequently. Write out Acts 8:4 ___________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________
D. What was the result of their obedience? Acts 11:21_________________________________
E. Evangelists have the ministry of “stirring”, calling men to repent of their sin and turn back to God.
V. WHAT IS A PASTOR?
A. “Pastor comes from the Greek “poimen” meaning “a shepherd, one who tends herds or flocks (not merely one who feeds them)”. Generally, pastors stay in one place and take care of day-to-day needs of the church.
B. Feeds the flock.
1. Read1 Peter 5:2-4. Write in your own words how a pastor is to feed the flock. _________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________ 2. Write out John 21:16 ___________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________ C. Protects the flock. Read Acts 20:28-31
D. Must be willing to lay down his life for his sheep. Read John 10:11-13.
E. Guides the flock. Write out John 10:3-4 _________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________
F. Watches for the souls of those in his flock. Read Hebrews 13:17 Why is it important that we obey those that rule over us? ____________________________________________________________________________ ___ ____________________________________________________________________________________
VI. WHAT IS A TEACHER?
A. From the Greek “didaskalos” meaning “a master”.
B. Clarifies how to apply truth in our lives so we clearly see what to do to obey the Word of God.
1. Read Nehemiah 8:7-8.
2. Write out Galatians 6:6 ____________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________________ C. Builds on the foundations laid by the apostle and prophets to establish the saints. Read 1 Corinthians 3.
D. Provides motivation for studying the Scriptures.
E. Communicates so we can understand the same truth God has revealed to us. What is the good advice given to us in 1 Corinthians 1:10? _________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________ F. Has the ministry of “stabilizing and strengthening.”
VII. WHY WERE THESE MINISTRIES GIVEN TO THE CHURCH?
A. For the perfecting of the saints. Write Ephesians 4:12________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________
B. For equipping the saints to do the work of the Lord and serve others. The pastor of a church is only one person. He cannot be expected to do the work of the ministry by himself. He is to be a teacher and as he goes about doing the things a pastor does, He’s supposed to teach others to do the same thing so that more and more people will be trained to take care of a larger and larger flock. This may mean more people in one church, or it may mean starting more churches. Jesus wants His church to keep on growing.
C. For the edifying or building up of the body of Christ.
VIII. HOW LONG WILL THESE MINISTRIES EXIST? UNTIL WE ALL: Agree as one that Jesus Christ is Lord and have faith in him, agreeing on this one point together.
A. Write Ephesians 4:3-6 ________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________
B. Personally know the Son of God and his character.
C. Become mature or the “perfect” man.
D. Live and behave as Jesus did on earth, obeying God the Father in every thought and deed, full of the power of the Holy Spirit. Read Ephesians 4:13, how long will this take? ________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________
E. Meet Jesus face to face.
IX. The Five-Fold ministry is more of a life-long direction, like a vocation. All Christians are called to teach and preach the word of God, save souls and help one another mature. But the Five-Fold ministry is meant to be a focus of a person’s life in one of these five areas of activity.