PRINCIPLES OF KINGDOM LIVING
CHRISTIAN HOME AND FAMILY
As God is bringing restoration and order to the Household of God (the Church), we find that the home plays a vital part in this visitation. In the Old Testament, the family was the corporate body of worshippers with the father as the spiritual leader and authority (Joshua 24:15).
(1) HOW IS THE CHRISTIAN HOME ESTABLISHED?
A material house does not come together without a blueprint. As Christians, the blueprint of God’s Word is our guideline for establishing our home.
A. Every institution must have a proper foundation
(Matthew 7:24-27); (Luke 6:46-49).
1. Proper foundation for the family unit is first to be “born again”.
2. Not only hear the Word of God, but practice it as it relates to the family unit and relationships within the family.
B. A home must be built (Psalms 127:1); (Proverbs 14:1). 1. Each member has a responsibility.
2. As each member functions in his/her area of responsibility, the home will be built.
C. There must be divinely instituted government within the home (Ephesians 6:1-4); (5:22-32).
There is a “chain of command”, or order of headship, in the home, even as there is in the Church or civil government (I Corinthians 11:3); (Colossians 1:18).
(2) WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF HEADSHIP?
A. The Scriptures declare that the husband and wife are “one flesh”. Thus, headship is not intended to bring about division, but unity.
B. Headship does not mean:
1. Dictatorship. 2. Inequality of men, women or children. 3. Inferiority of Woman. 4. Superiority of Man.
(3) WHAT IS MARRIAGE?
A. Covenant publicly made between a man and a woman, and God for the purpose of founding and maintaining a family.
B. Of vital interest to God. He instituted it in (Genesis 1:26-28); (2:18-25).
C. It is intended to be a life-long union that can only be dissolved by death or unfaithfulness (Romans 7:2-3). (Matthew 19:6) says, “Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put asunder”.
(4) WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE HUSBAND AND WIFE? A. Husband:
1. He must acknowledge and confess Jesus Christ as Lord of his life.
2. He must accept that God has ordained that he be the priest and head of his
household (Ephesians 6:1-2), and that he himself is under headship
(I Corinthians 11:3).
3. He must recognize that his wife was created by God to be his help-meet; not help-mate (Genesis 2:18).
4. He must recognize that his wife is of like nature and substance
5. He must leave his father and mother and cleave to his wife.
6. He must recognize that he and his wife are one, even as Christ and the Church are one:
(a) Adam (Genesis 2:23).
(b) Jesus (Matthew 19:4-6). (c) Paul (Ephesians 5:30-31).
7. He must love his wife as Christ loved the Church (Ephesians 5:2,25-31).
8. He must sacrifice for his wife; give himself even as Christ gave Himself for the Church (Ephesians 5:25).
9. He must nourish (“to promote health and strength”) his wife
10. He must cherish (“to impart warmth, foster, care for”) his wife
11. Respect and honor (I Peter 3:7).
12. Live in harmony (Unity) (I Peter 3:8). 13. Have compassion (I Peter 3:8). 14. Love as a human being (I Peter 3:8). 15. Be sympathetic (I Peter 3:8).
16. Be courteous (I Peter 3:8). 17. Not retaliating (I Peter 3:9).
18. Not be abusive with his tongue (I Peter 3:10).
1. She must know area of responsibility. Husband and wife are equal as persons, but not equal in responsibility.
2. Must accept responsibility in the right attitude. The woman is not inferior to man; not competing with man. Husband and wife are equal in importance, but not equal in position.
3. She must have a submissive spirit (Hebrew meaning: “to come under the protection of another”), (Ephesians 5:22-24); (Colossians 3:18); (I Peter 3:1-6).
4. She must have a quiet and meek spirit (I Peter 3:1-6).
5. Modest and Godly (I Timothy 3:9-10).
6. Recognize that she and her husband are heirs together of the Grace of life (I Peter 3:7).
7. The wife is the help-meet; the complement to her husband (Genesis 2:18).
8. Love her husband and children (Titus 2:4).
9. Avoid the sin of nagging (Proverbs 19:13); (21:9); (27:15).
A marriage must pivot around the will of God and the purpose of God for their lives. When a couple is married, they begin the adventure of “oneness”. It can only be encountered as they both love God and one another. They must serve Him. They cannot follow two independent courses of action.
(5) WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT CHILDREN?
A. They are the heritage of the Lord (Psalms 127:35).
B. They are the reward of the Lord (Psalms 127:3); (Genesis 33:5); (Psalms 113:9). C. They are highly esteemed by God (Psalms 127:4-5) (128:3); (Matthew 19:14).
D. They are a crown (Proverbs 17:6).
(6) WHAT ARE THE SCRIPTURAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARENTS?
A. They must bring their children to Jesus Christ (Matthew 19:13-14); (Mark 10:13).
B. Parents must:
1. Love God 2. Study His Word. 3. Teach His children to do the same (Deuteronomy 6:5-7).
C. Parents must administer Correction when needed:
1. Correction is an act of love (Proverbs 13:24).
2. Correction will drive out foolishness (Proverbs 22:15):
(a) Foolishness, if not corrected, will produce pride (Proverbs 14:3).
(b) Foolishness and Pride yield:
(1) Contention (Proverbs 13:10).
(2) Strife (Proverbs 28:25).
(3) Brings him low (Proverbs 29:23).
(4) Shame (Proverbs 11:2); (29:15). 3. Withholding correction will destroy a child (Proverbs 23:13-14).
D. Parents are to train their children (Proverbs 22:6).
Definition of train: “to bring to a requisite standard, as of conduct or skill, by protracted and careful instruction; specifically, to mold the character of;educate; instruct; to render skillful or proficient.” E. Parents are not to provoke their Children, but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4); (Colossians 3:21). F. Children can be worshippers of God (Matthew 21:15-16).
(7) WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CHILD TOWARDS HIS PARENTS? A. Children are to honor their parents (Deuteronomy 5:16); (Ephesians 6:2-3). B. Children are to obey their parents:
1. In God (Ephesians 6:1); (Deuteronomy 30:2); (Proverbs 1:8) (6:20).
2. In All Things (Colossians 3:20).
PRINCIPLES OF KINGDOM LIVING
LESSON 13 – STUDY SHEET
CHRISTIAN HOME AND FAMILY
Answer these questions and be prepared to discuss this chapter in the next class.
1. Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and ______________________, we will serve the Lord.
2. As Christians, the blueprint of ______________________ is our guideline for establishing our home.
Note: how mother used to do it the way my father was traditions trends latest “advice” by the psychologists customs cultures religious ideas
3. Proper foundation for the family unit is to be ” ___________________________”
4. Psalms 127:1a. Except the ______________________ build the house, they labour in vain that build it:
6. Please read Ephesians 5:22-31 verse 22 Luke 22:42 gives us our example of true submission. Ephesians 5:22: Wives _____________ unto your __________ husbands, as unto the Lord. verse 25 Christ died for the church. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church and _________________ Himself for it. Both of these scriptures(Ephesians 5:22 & 25) have the same heart: dying to self. Preferring each other above yourself. But love is not blind and neither is submission. Love should never compromise your relationship with God nor should submission compromise your obedience to God.
7. Thus, headship is not intended to bring about division, but ____________________
8. Headship _____________ means: dictatorship, inequality of men, women or children, inferiority of women or superiority of men.
9. Marriage is a: Covenant publicly made between a man and a woman and _________ for the purpose of founding and maintaining a family.
10. Husband and wife are ______________ in importance, but not equal in ___________.
11. What is the Hebrew meaning of submissive? ______________________________.
12. A marriage ________________________________ around the will of God and the __________________________________ of God for their lives.
13. Who are the heritage of the Lord? _______________________________________
14. Parents (that means mothers and fathers) must:
1. Love God
3. Study His Word
3. ____________________ His children to do the same
15. Withholding ____________________________ will destroy a child.