PRINCIPLES OF KINGDOM LIVING
PRAISE AND WORSHIP
In these days, God is restoring praise and worship to the Church. Many passages of Scripture refer to these two topics. In this reason, praise and worship are the center of much conversation and study within the Church. The days are past when we took for granted, that our praise and worship were accepted by God. Now, the Church is searching and studying the Word of God in an effort to find out what God does accept as praise and worship.
(1) WHAT ARE PRAISE AND WORSHIP?
A. Praise – Often, praise and thanksgiving go hand-in-hand.
Thanksgiving arises from our desire to how appreciation for the goodness of God and the gifts He bestows upon us. Praise stems from the desire to love and extol God for Who He Is, rather than what He does.
B. Worship – In the Hebrew language, it means to “bow yourself down in adoring contemplation of God”. Worship involves devotion, reverence, adoration, respect, and honor.
(2) IS IT IMPORTANT THAT WE PRAISE AND WORSHIP THE LORD?
A. The Importance Of Praise:
1. This is how we come into His presence (Psalms 100:4). 2. God inhabits the praise of His people (Psalms 22:3). 3. It is pleasing to God (Psalms 69:30-31). 4. God requires it as our sacrifice to Him (Hebrews 13:15).
B. The Importance Of Worship:
1. The Word of God expresses God’s desire for us to worship Him (Psalms 45:11); (86:9); (95:6).
2. Satan realized and valued the importance of worship. When he tempted Jesus, he endeavored to get Jesus to worship him in exchange for the kingdoms of the world (Matthew 4); (Luke 4).
(3) WHY DO WE PRAISE THE LORD?
A. It is a command (Psalms 81:1-5).
B. It is comely (Psalms 33:1).
C. It is pleasant (Psalms 135:3).
D. It is good (Psalms 54:6); (92:1).
E. God is worthy (Psalms 18:3); (48:1).
F. It assures us of the abiding presence of the Lord (Psalms 89:15).
G. We were created for this purpose (Psalms 102:18).
(4) WHAT DOES PRAISE ACCOMPLISH? A. Opens a line of communication (Psalms 68:32-33).
B. Purification (Proverbs 27:21); (17:3).
C. Glorifies the Lord (Psalms 50:23). D. Deliverance (Psalms 42:5).
E. Healing (Psalms 42:11).
(5) HOW ARE WE TO WORSHIP THE LORD?
A. In Spirit (John 4:20-26); (Philippians 3:3). B. In Truth (John 4:24); (8:32); (17:17). C. In the Beauty of Holiness (I Chronicles 16:29); (Psalms 29:2); (96:9). D. In the Fear of the Lord (Psalms 5:7);(Deuteronomy 10:12).
(6) WHEN DO WE PRAISE AND WORSHIP THE LORD?
A. Continually (Psalms 71:6);(35:28);(34:1). B. Day-By-Day (II Chronicles 30:21). C. In Everything (I Thessalonians 5:18); (Ephesians 5:19-20).
(7) IN WHAT WAYS CAN WE PRAISE AND WORSHIP THE LORD?
A. In Song (Psalms 28:7); (40:3). 1. In the Spirit. 2. With understanding (I Corinthians 14:14-15).
B. In the Dance (Psalms 150:4). C. On the Instruments (Psalms 33:2); (150:3-5). D. By Lifting our Hands (Psalms 63:3-4); (134:2). E. By Clapping our Hands (Psalms 47:1).
(8) WHERE ARE WE TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP THE LORD? A. In our Home (Psalms 42:8); (149:5). B. In the Assembly (Psalms 22:22); (35:18); (111:1). C. In the Presence of Non-Believers (Psalms 40:3);(126:2);(Acts 2:46-47).
(9) WHO ARE SOME BIBLICAL EXAMPLES OF WORSHIPPERS? A. Joshua (Joshua 5:14). B. Gideon (Judges 7:15). C. David (II Samuel 12:20); (I Chronicles 11:16-21). D. Israel (II Chronicles 7:3); (Nehemiah 8:6).
God desires the praises of His people. When we learn to praise God, we take our eyes off of ourselves and our praises usher us into His presence. Only in His presence can we worship Him. The people of God are a spiritual house whose purpose is to show forth the praises of God (I Peter 2:9).
PRINCIPLES OF KINGDOM LIVING
LESSON 11—STUDY SHEET
PRAISE AND WORSHIP
Please fill in the blanks and bring this sheet to the next class.
1. The days are past when we took for granted that our praise and worship were accepted by God. Now, the Church is searching and studying the ________________ in an effort to find out what God does accept as praise and worship.
2. ___________________ stems from the desire to love and extol God for who He
is, rather than what He does.
3. ______________ involves devotion, reverence, adoration, respect, and honor.
4. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise: be
____________________ unto him and bless His Name. Psalms 100:4
- But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the ________________________ of Israel. (Psalms 22:3)
- Hebrews 13:15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to ___________________ continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
7. Psalms 33:1 Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous: for praise is ___________________ for the upright.
8. What are four ways you can worship the Lord? ____________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________
9. When we learn to praise God, we take our __________________________ Off of
_____________________________ and our praises usher us into His presence.